SENIOR PROJECT COORDINATOR WITH INTERNATIONAL PROFILE – STRATEGIC PLANNING, IMPLEMENTATION AND ANAU TEAM LEADER
Application Due: 28/01/2024
Grade: Senior level, International Professional
Expected start date: 12/02/2024
Type of contract: Service contract, fixed term (10 months).
The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) launches a 10-years project “Forest Restoration and Climate Change in Armenia” (FORACCA). The project aims to bring cutting-edge knowledge on climate change-related topics to Armenia so that national policies can be properly designed, and people better understand the need for action and react accordingly. Its three primary objectives are to advance scientific understanding of Armenia’s capacity to address climate change and sustainably manage its forests; to promote climate-smart practices in rural areas; and to ensure evidence-based policymaking for climate adaptation and efficient forest management. For planning and implementation, FORACCA is working together with the Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow, and Landscape Research (ETH-WSL), which is part of the word-wide renowned Federal Institute of Technology Zurich. In Armenia, the Armenian National Agrarian University (ANAU), alongside the Ministry of Environment, actively participates in the preparation of this initiative. ANAU is the only higher education institution in the agricultural sector in Armenia and has a strategic role in the country’s economic development. It qualifies professionals in the field of agriculture, forestry, and rural development. ANAU students and researchers design and implement a wide range of academic activities varying from sustainable management of natural resources, smart farming, precision agriculture, crop production, the sustainability of agro-ecosystems, biosciences, climate change and adaptation to food security, etc. In the first year, the ANAU has been commissioned to lead the Opening Phase and prepare different outcomes for the project main phase. The objective of the assignment is to collect and collate the scientific information as well as concretize objectives of the FORACCA project.
To coordinate FORACCA activities, the ANAU is looking for an established professional senior project coordinator with international profile. The Project Coordinator is expected to ensure effective quality management, reporting, day-to-day and sound financial management, proper data and knowledge management, protection of intellectual property rights, ethical compliance, equality of gender and cultural aspects. In addition, the Project Coordinator will act as central point of contact for the Swiss Cooperation Office in Armenia.
The Project Coordinator will coordinate and monitor the implementation of activities under the responsibility of the ANAU in the frame of the FORACCA project, including:
- Draft and design a project implementation strategy.
- Plan and coordinate ANAU-led activities in the project and supervise the project team.
- Define and monitor the logistics and activities required for collecting scientific information.
- Ensure timely support to review and delivery of project deliverables (such as action plans, technical reports, guidelines, etc.).
- Support the management of the project’s financial and human resources.
- Ensure compliance with national and international standards and good project performance through engagement of the entire team.
- Organize field activities of the project and review technical information with the field teams.
- Develop project progress reports.
- Promote active and systematic communication, ensuring continuous flow of relevant information.
- Supervise the organization of events (meetings, workshops, focus group discussions, etc.).
- Organize and participate in periodic meetings with the FORACCA project team for strategy alignment and monitoring of activities.
- Coordinate with a variety of stakeholders: government agencies, civil society organizations, farmer groups, donors, etc.
- Represent the FORACCA project in meetings, forums, and technical and scientific events at national and international levels.
- Advanced university degree in Agroforestry, Agriculture, Environmental Sciences, Natural Resource Management, or related fields including business administration.
- Up to 10 years hands-on field experience in managing international projects, interdisciplinary programs with multi-disciplinary and multi-national staff.
- Proven track record in coordinating complex programs with diverse range of partners.
- Previous experience in development cooperation or related work for an international agency or donor organization.
- 7 years minimum of work experience in preparation of reviews, project documents, concept papers related to environmental sustainability, climate change and forest restoration.
- Prior working experience in Armenia and knowledge of its current socio-economic and environmental situation. Direct experience of working with Armenian National Agrarian University will be considered as an asset.
- Proven problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Result-orientation and ability to lead international teams.
- Excellent communication skills and experience in networking and initiating long lasting dialogue with a variety of national and international stakeholders.
- Ability to perform well under pressure and flexibility in handling unexpected work assignments as and when necessary.
- Ability to work respectfully and inclusively in a diverse, multicultural, multidisciplinary work environment.
- Fluency in English and Armenian languages is required. German language skills will be considered as an asset.
The ANAU offers the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. The ANAU attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees/contractors and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on a gender-independent salary scale.
Please submit applications to hr@anauam and reference ‘SENIOR PROJECT COORDINATOR WITH INTERNATIONAL PROFILE’ in the subject line.
Applications should be in English and include:
- An updated CV.
- A cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for the FORACCA project at the ANAU and how your qualifications align specifically with the competencies required for the role of the senior project coordinator.
The vacancy closes at midnight, Local Time in Yerevan, Armenia (GMT+4). Applications will not be accepted after the closing date.
Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.